
You know, Kurt is almost done with school. I mean, for real this time. And, even before this, his last semester, is over, the precocious side of me has been thinking:
Should I go back to school and get my special ed or psychology masters? Should I go back to teaching, now that the kids are older and doing better?
Where can we move that's cheaper, where we can afford at least one more bedroom and bathroom. Should I just go ahead and paint that wall; are we going to be here a while, or are we going to move soon?
Of course, all of this is contingent upon a job promotion for Kurt, for which he hasn't even applied yet because he's got to wait for his diploma! Which, in this economy, we're just grateful he has a job.
Then, school starts. The kids have wonderful teachers - cream of the crop and both are thrilled. Natalee is doing better than she has since, well, preschool. She's really doing well in her equine therapy. Gehrig is going through a bit of a phase, but nothing too traumatic. We're working on getting him the help he needs for his anxiety, as well. We love our neighborhood and school. We have developed friendships with families that know where we stand, know what we're all about and love us anyway. We love this area: the state parks, the mountains, the beaches, the culture, the shopping choices, the fast food restaurants and the country. Other than one more room and a bathroom, I couldn't pick a better place to live.
As I'm thinking all these things and itching to get moving to our next stage of life, it dawns on me. Why am I in such a hurry? Sure, we've had more money and a bigger house before, but never have we experienced this sense of peace. We've always been working as hard and as fast as we can to get to the next rung and I think it's about time we just enjoy this contentment for a while.
Contentment: I know it's not going to last. That's what life is all about, right? Trials and growing. But, you won't find me out searching for it, just presently. I think I've finally learned, at least elementarily, to not make life more difficult for myself. So, for now, you won't find me applying to universities, checking the job listings, packing up the house or even cleaning out the way I do before I know I have to pack. (Hmmmm - does that jinx it if I actually say it out loud?)
I'm gonna go play with the kids!
6 comments:
What a great post! It's wonderful that you are able to stand back, look at things, and ask yourself the important questions. THAT is what I think life is about...Figuring out how to be content. It's not like your life is trial or problem free right now. You've just figured out how to live happily within those struggles and take them for what they are. You are a great example to me! I'm so glad we reconnected!
I am impressed with your ability to take a break from it all. I'm...working on that. I feel like my whole life has been--what's next? Thanks for this post!
Yay, Anny!!! I'm so proud of you!
I've been reading this GREAT book called "Full Catastrophe Living" and it helps with being present, in the now. I really like the idea of non-striving. I am so constantly "anxiously engaged" that I can never enjoy the moment. I lay in bed thinking about what I need to do next. I sit in class thinking about what better I could be doing with my time. You should check it out, it goes along with your post excellently.
Amen! Don't you wish we had those moments of clear thinking more often. I seem to forget so quickly.
Wow, really makes me think about my own life. Thank you!
What a terrific post! I have been looking for other places to live, houses to buy, children to have (still praying for that one), second jobs, etc., just change in general and it reminded me to step back and be happy with where I am and what's going on presently in my life instead of looking forward to what might happen and miss everything going on in front of my nose.
Post a Comment