The Bock Family Blog

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Banana Boat

By popular request, here are the directions for making Banana Boats in a campfire. This is a great site for lots of articles related to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints: Meridian. Funny that when I searched for an image, this is what came up for outdoor cooking! The directions in that article are as follows. (You know me, why invent the wheel when somebody has already done it?!) Banana Boat •18-inch heavy-duty aluminum foil •1 banana, unpeeled •Miniature marshmallows •Milk chocolate chips or broken candy bars Cut a slit lengthwise about two-thirds of the way through the banana from the stem to the base. Fill the slit with miniature marshmallows and milk chocolate chips or broken pieces of chocolate bars. (I like to use milk chocolate chips because they melt in your mouth, in your hand — they melt everywhere.) To heat the banana boat, wrap in foil and cook on hot coals for five minutes, or until the chocolate and marshmallows have melted. Serve as a snack, a dessert or a treat around the campfire. •One word of caution. If you leave the boats in the coals too long, the bananas will liquefy. •You can also create a fruit “banana boat” by using maraschino cherries, shredded coconut, nuts and pineapple. And remember, foil cooking has three great benefits. It's easy to use, there aren't any dishes to clean up, and the preparation for cooking the food is done by the person who will eat it. I find this so valuable when it come to build experience and memories that will last forever. FYI- I used mini-chocolate chips, so I could squeeze more in there! I also don't just cut a slit in the banana peel. I cut a little flap, peel it back like on a hinge and actually dig some of the banana out with a spoon, to make more room for the other goodies (of course!).

3 comments:

The State of Our Family said...

It seems vaguely familiar, but I'm still at a loss. Looks yummy though!

Carmen said...

um yes, I will be giving this a try.

Sherri said...

I love these! Girls camp!