March has been full of fun things!
To start, Natalee took it upon herself to contact the people in charge of
Towncats, our local no-kill cat shelter, to see if she could volunteer. After a couple phone calls, she has the Tuesday afternoon shift and is responsible for cleaning, feeding and loving some kitties. Here is one of her "clients". Even more impressive is that she asked her classroom teacher if she could put a collection jar for the kitties at school. Every week that she visit, she has a few dollars to donate! I know she's ours, but I think she's pretty amazing!

We had a visit from some elusive leprechauns this St. Patty's Day. Gehrig laid out a trap, which he spent two weeks building (and gets better every year). He didn't catch one, but they left Natalee and him a treat - golden chocolate coins.

We helped Larry move. Larry, Juvenal and Lily have been our
neighbors for almost 5 years. They have been great neighbors and Larry and
Natalee had an emotional goodbye. He left Natalee with the hummingbird feeders and some
daffodil bulbs, which have shown their stuff this week!

Natalee submitted her 6th grade Science Fair project. She choose to do her research on whether the chemicals you add to fish water actually help them live longer, or are a gimic. One contained water from the store, one plain tap water and one she added the stress-coat chemical. She was not thrilled with the results, however, it proved that, yes, the stress coat you add to the water when changing water is necessary. Needless to say, I don't think she'll ever be in charge of a lab for animal testing.

Here is the latest addition to One Step Closer: His name is Tinman and he is a Norwegion Fjord. He is about 7 years old and is trained in psychotherapy - amazing! Natalee was the first one in the prorgram to ride him and did so with a bareback saddle. She was totally smitten with his kisses!

The kids had a week off of school this February (unofficially called "ski week"). We took the opportunity, when it was dry, to take a walk along Almaden Lake with the pooch.

Natalee got an award for
Citizenship at a school assembly. Here she is with her friend, Diana.

Here's Natalee riding Reba, another program horse. Look how gorgeous the hills are becoming (green) with all this rain!
4 comments:
I'm so proud of Nanny! And tell her she's just like her Twin Auntie. You wonder why I went into Botany instead of Zoology??? It's not that I don't love animals, I love them too much!
Oh, and fish tank water has to slowly build up (good) bacteria that "eats" the fish's waste so that the water isn't toxic. That's why new fish always die. An established tank has healthier water...
I love that Natalee has such a big heart! I'm sure that she will get so much out of working at the animal shelter, I can't believe she came up with the idea all on her own, what a neat girl!
Natalee working at the shelter is totally awesome! What a cool job!
And the fish experiment is handy information. I have always wondered about the chemicals. Next year test the flower water with the little packet or without. I would love to know if that actually keeps the flowers alive longer.
Sherri, That's a great idea! We should try aspirin in the other one.
Post a Comment