The Bock Family Blog

Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Nutcracker 2010

One of the Christmas traditions Mom started when we were kids was attending a performance of The Nutcracker. Sometimes it was in Sacramento, San Francisco or Oakland. Once, even downtown Fairfield, when they got their own little performing arts center, by the students of Yanina Cawinska's Ballety School. We haven't taken our kids in the big city yet, it's a bit too pricey. But, we have taken them to see local showings and they know it by heart after watching the Barbie a bazillion times. (She really is classy, with the real Tchaikovsky score and everything.)
Gehrig is absolutely obsessed with Nutcrackers (I'm sure it has to do with the whole battle thing).
This year, we were thinking the budget wouldn't allow us to attend. However, a real blessing occurred that the were able to attend a free community performance at the temple. What more could you ask for: seeing the temple at night with it's Christmas lights and a free performance of The Nutcracker?! I feel so blessed to have been able to continue this tradition with my kids this last holiday season.
We reserved our tickets and invited the Zayas' to ride along with us. I was worried because it was a full-length version, but I needn't have been. Natalee was thrilled to see the clarinet in the full symphony they had and Gehrig was fantastic...because Kate was there!
Meet Gehrig's friend, Kate. They have so much fun together and match each other's speed. When G found out we were going with Kate, he insisted on wearing his suit. He is such a gentleman with her, it's cute. We are actually hoping these two get married someday, after his mission, of course, so that Jamee and I can be related. But, we don't mention it in front of them - no pressure, of course.

Are they not just darling?!

What's your favorite Christmas tradition?

No comments: