We needed a table in the living room for homework, craft projects and...dinner (since Gehrig now sleeps in the former dining area).
So, Gehrig and I headed to Goodwill today to see what we could find. I love some of the styling of Target furniture, but the particle board stuff just falls apart for our family. I was looking for solid wood construction - very expensive these days.
Here is what we found for $22.99:
Ugly beast of a thing from the '70's or so...stained and flecked with black speckles to look distressed. But, it was SOLID WOOD!
I brought it home,
sanded it lightly,
gently cleaned it and let it air dry,
just like Kate says to on her fantastic blog,
Wa-la!
Aint' she perdy?
I was going to replace the hardware, too, but then decided, after I painted it heirloom white, they weren't that bad after all. Tada, new family gathering station.
6 comments:
Ooooh NICE! And you are so right on the solid wood thing, I have done some looking too...expensive. What a great find, and doesn't it feel great to fix something up AND save money?! It is amazing what a little heirloom white can do, isn't it?
"How'd you get so purdy?" Hehe! Looks great!
And there's something I love about getting second-hand things. Books, furniture, etc (just not cloth...it's an OCD thing). They have a spirit and a history to them. New book stores and furniture stores are so antiseptic and cold.
Mae, You are so right. But, I do love the smell and feel of being the first one to crack open a new book.
Ooooh! I love it. I love it when I find a good deal, too!
Woo Hoo, You are amazing. I love finding a good solid piece and making it pretty. I love the table. I also agree that the hardware is beautiful. So FUN!!!
Oh my, it looks just perfect! and good jub on ypur new job, its perfect for you!
Post a Comment