The Bock Family Blog

Sunday, August 15, 2010

This and that of summer...

Kurt had some fun this year with the Blossom Valley Ward softball team. They played at Brette Hart middle school. It was fun! And, yes, Kurt is a lefty, but bats right handed...go figure. Here's the latest of my heirloom runner beans on the trellis string Mae gave me a couple years ago. They really took off! I got the seeds on our trip to Filoli Gardens in May. I love their coral flowers. In front of them is an eggplant. I've never grown one before, so I'm curious to see exactly where the vegetable sprouts. Currently it has a gorgeous purple flower on it. This is my crazy volunteer rose bush that will not die! Not that I tried to kill it...just didn't know it was there for the first two years we lived here. Then, I thought I'd nurture it and...look at it now! That's a lemon balm to the right of it. It's growing through the fence, too. And, the crowning glory of the garden this year: The spaghetti squash. Grown from a seedling that my neighbor, Kim, gave me. She didn't have room in her garden for all the plants that sprouted - so we transplanted one to our little patch. We didn't expect it to survive and check it out! I trained it to climb the stump of a tree that once stood in the corner of the yard. I'm gonna miss all this green when fall comes and I have to rip it all out. But, I'll look forward to what I get to plant next spring. Any fun suggestions? Here's the latest of Mousse - who now runs the house - including the dog. She's getting darker and much more defined stripes. She likes Gehrig's new bedroom, too.

1 comment:

Mae said...

Your corner garden is so gorgeous! Mine looks nothing like this. Call that ironic!

By the way, the eggplant will come from the flower. That's where fruit comes from. Research how to prepare the eggplant before you eat it because I've heard rumours that they're poisonous unless you cook them. Oh, and eggplant is very closely related to tomatoes.

Babaganoush is kind of like Moroccan salsa, only with eggplant instead of tomatoes.

You did great with trellesing everything! That's really good for the plant so it can get good air movement and not rot and also the fruit stays cleaner. Way to go!

Oh, and tell Kurt that I can't throw a ball with any kind of aim left handed.