The Bock Family Blog

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Filoli Gardens

Sandy, Gretchen's mother, researched and organized a trip for us ladies to Filoli Gardens in Woodside, California - about 30 miles south of San Francisco. It was a feast for our eyes! We couldn't even get in the front door without snapping several snapshots. So, I hope you'll forgive my oozing. Cool, huge book with botany prints. Inside the ballroom,
These crab apples trees were grown and pruned into box hedges!
A sampling of the apple cake from the cafe.
Here's us at the High Place.
My favorites were the various pear and apple trees that they had trained on trellises.
The architecture caught my eye on numerous occasions.
Camillia's are some of my favorite flowers and I've never been able to root one. I bought a plant from the Filoli garden shop and I hope to put it in a pot - I can't wait to see what it does.
This is one of the ponds as you first enter the gardens. Just stunning!
Yes, please! I'll take the door.
Can I copy this in my backyard?
The tulips were astounding, some over 4 feet tall in pots!
We had a glorious lunch in the cafe and then toured the house - quickly! We're going to have to go back when the roses are in bloom.

4 comments:

Stacie S-H said...

wow that looks like a really neat place to go. So pretty!

EJ said...

I want to frame a bunch of those botany prints for my house! And the picture of the arch and stairs is so cool. So glad you got to enjoy that, and thanks for posting the pictures so I could too! I will put that on my list of places to go someday.

Sherri said...

Beautiful pics! I will take that door as well.

The State of Our Family said...

The tulips look amazing! It's so weird to think you guys are doing spring and tulips and daffodils right now! Such a pretty time of the year! Looks like a great girls' day...fabulous idea!