I've lived in the Bay Area, and the Oakland Temple has been our temple, for nearly all my life. Kurt and I were married there. However, I'd never been to the lighting ceremony they hold the first weekend in December, to turn on all the beautiful Christmas decorations. I remember going to visit the manger scene and the beautiful lights as a child and thought I'd take a friend this year. Sandy and I got there just as the sun was setting. It was a beautiful cold, clear day - with no fog - rare for the bay. This is looking west toward San Francisco. We could see all 4 bridges from Temple Hill.
We enjoyed a beautiful music and dance performance in the auditorium and then we all went outside. They turned out all the regular lights that light the sidewalks, etc. Then, a special guest turned on the lights and it glowed!
3 comments:
It's so pretty, isn't it? We took Joshua there several years ago (pre-Nathaniel) on our way home from a 49rs game...the temple lights were way better than the Niner's Game! (I just looked...it was 5 years ago today - which was also our 5th anniversary!)
We just took the kids to Temple Square last night. It was so fun to see the California version with the palm trees decorated.
Ohhhhh! I so miss the lights in Oakland. I wonder when I'll see them again. BEAUTIFUL!
Post a Comment