The Bock Family Blog

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

We had a fun weekend...

Several months ago, Gehrig found a potato in the cupboard (I'm ashamed to say) with eyes that were sprouting. He was freaked out until we explained to him that that is how new potatoes are grown. He says, "So, if I stick this potato in the ground, it'll make more?" Once we assured him, he said, "Can I?!" Of course, we let him. You have never seen a boy so carefully water a 2x3 area of dirt. He was a little ticked off when the tomato plant overgrew it this summer. But this weekend, we cleaned out the little plot we have in the backyard and I let him dig them up. He was thrilled to find: We had some awesome scalloped potatoes for dinner that night! On Saturday we visited the pumpkin patch a ways out of town. (It has been so nice to have Kurt around and actually participating in these family outings, since his degree is done!) It was really cute...until we learned that the total for two medium pumpkins was going to be $26! I just couldn't stomach it...so we had a family meeting...quietly left them in the wagon.. and went to Lucky's: 3 for $9.99! Kids were just as happy, they carve just as well. And, finally, today (Tuesday) Natalee went next door to help Larry and his nieces/nephews make Halloween cookies. Check these bad-boys out:

4 comments:

Sherri said...

I can't believe how expensive those pumpkins were. It's not like they shipped them in from Japan. We paid 9cents a pound. Get Gehrig to plant a pumpkin plant next spring.

Annessa said...

Sherri, I think you're onto something. The funny thing is, living in California, they grew right down the road! Ridiculous! I think we will do a pumpkin.

SLO Rober said...

Those cookies are so cool. The pumpkin thing is blowing my mind, too. I always like to buy some extra pumplins for decoration, but did without this year.

The State of Our Family said...

Great pumpkin patch pictures! None for us this year! :) BTW: I want the recipe to your pumpkin pancakes...sounds yummy!