Every year the 4th graders at the kids' school have a Gold Rush Day. It is a culmination of their unit of study on California history. I got to help out this year, working at the mini-stream where we taught the kids a bit about gold panning.

That Holly Hobby costume I made a couple years ago came in real handy for Natalee!
They made jam:

Sang at the miner's tent:

And, visited the saloon. How thrilled am I to look up and see my daughter being taught to drink and gamble? No, really, they were drinking rootbeer and playing 21 with 6th grade dealers!
4 comments:
Thats the very best part of being a room mom helper! Aren't you glad you get to experience all of that with your children? I miss them thar goood ol' days!
That is so funny that they were playing cards. I guess there could be worse things. What a fun day.
California history is so cool! I lived in Georgia and Indiana when we did our state history units. They didn't teach us how to drink and play poker. I love this state :)
I LOVE learning in fun ways! It sticks with the kids so much better.
Post a Comment