The Bock Family Blog

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Our anniversary, continued....Thanks to Mandi!

Yes, it's true, Kurt and I met on a blind date. The story goes: My friend, Mandi and I were in the same education class at BYU the fall of my junior year. We knew each other from California; her dad was my singles ward bishop. I was really enjoying my major and not really serious about dating, though having a real good time. She came in one day and said, "You gotta meet this guy in my ward!" I was thinking, "I don't have to meet anybody, but it could be fun." Then she precedes to tell me he's quiet, dark, loves baseball and is from the South. I'm thinking, "Wonderful. This ought to be rich." (I have since grown a fondness for the beauty of the south, a dark, quiet man and the german name Gehrig.) Well, she doubled with his roommate: we brought the food and drove (my little white Volkswagen Rabbit - loved that car!) and they planned the activity. It was like three dates all rolled into one. We picnicked at Bridal Veil Falls (which is no more), we got free Slurpee's from Kurt's work (7-11, at the time)and went on to mini-golf and bumper boat at Trafalga. I had forgotten about it by Monday and it took him three days to get my phone number from Mandi. On our second date he told me his life story and I didn't run away. On our third date I told him my short life story, and he didn't run away. He waited several weeks (yes, weeks) and a double feature drive-in to kiss me on my porch. Six weeks later, he proposed to me at my parent's house for the first of three times. (But, that, is another story!) Of course, he didn't tell me until it was a sure thing, but he had made a bet with Mandi. She bet that, fresh off his mission, he would be engaged by January. He said, not likely, but would owe her a bag of Jelly Belly's if he was. To make sure she was going to get her jelly beans, she fixed us up! We've been owing her Jelly Belly's for 14 years! Mandi, I don't know how you knew, but you definitely pointed Kurt in the right direction. I couldn't have handpicked a better person to fill in my gaps!

2 comments:

Sherri said...

That's sweet! And I wanna hear all the 'other stories'.

The State of Our Family said...

WOW! That was fun to read! There were a lot of details in the first date story that I had totally forgotten about. Are you guys still in touch with the roommate? I want to say his name was Scott or Jason...am I close? I remember him being a great guy, very into baseball, and just fun to be around. I am SOOO glad things have worked out so perfectly for the two of you! Maybe we can meet at the jelly belly factory next month when the kids and I are in CA! :)