The Bock Family Blog

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Sneaky little tasties!

So, I had some grated zucchini previously frozen from a friend to use up and I was craving chocolate. What is a girl to do...but make a Chocolate Zucchini Cake! Doesn't a chocolate cake sound nice for a Sunday evening? The family loved it and I didn't even frost it. The zucchini makes it nice and moist. (I use that powdered buttermilk that you get in the baking aisle and keep in the fridge.) Click on the image to make it big enough to see the recipe. Kate, check out the author of the article: who knew!? Also, in the spirit of sharing culinary secrets, this has been a favorite since I taught school. It's from Patricia Polacco's book, Thunder Cake. She includes the recipe in the back of the book and it is scrumptious! Since the best tomatoes are in season in late summer, I imagine she grew up somewhere they have summer thunderstorms. But, it works just as well on a humid, stormy day here in California, if you can get a decent tomato by that time in the grocery store. GRANDMA'S THUNDER CAKE Cream together, one at a time: 1 3/4 c. sugar 1 tsp. vanilla 3 eggs, separated (blend yolks in, beat whites until they are stiff then fold in) 1 c. cold water 1/3 c. pureed tomatoes Sift together: 1/2 c. dry cocoa 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda 1 tsp. salt Mix dry mixture into creamy mixture. Bake in 2 greased and floured 8 1/2 inch round pans at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes. Frost with chocolate butter frosting. Top with strawberries.

1 comment:

SLO Rober said...

So cool! I like that you know I like Jodi Picoult. That's thoughtful. We missed the kids and the turkey this year too, in that order. My turkey was fine, but just not the same. I must practice on little whole chickens when they go on sale or something. Give the kids loves.