The Bock Family Blog

Saturday, June 7, 2008

How much adventure can one cram into a trip to the beach?!

Kurt had, yes, another paper to write. So, that means I find something to keep the kids busy and me sane. Well, it's that time of year and I've just been waiting for the first chance to go to the beach. So, we headed to our favorite: Seacliff State Beach, near Aptos, CA. It was an amazing day! Here's the highlights:
  • Chanced upon the 15th Annual Cement Boat Festival - tons of booths for the kids to craft & learn
  • Spent 2 hours at the festival before we even headed down to the shore: made kites, painted faces, sand painting, learned about marine wildlife, made nautical flag name signs
  • Broke in the kids new boogie boards
  • Natalee saved a baby harbor seal from sure starvation (no joke - she had just learned about the Marine Mammal Center at the festival and ran and got them to bring their rescue truck to take the calf to the rehab center).
  • Hannah got stung by a bee (poor babe) and got to meet a cute lifeguard.
  • Annessa got to sprint up 6 flights of stairs to the upper parking lot because I didn't know if Hannah was allergic to bees or not!
  • Gehrig learned how to start a fire with driftwood and a magnifying glass (thanks a lot boys!-I didn't think it would really work.)
  • And, of course, saw the cement boat.

We had a blast - but a little less drama next time would be nice, too.

5 comments:

Mae said...

So cool about the seal! And the festival. Did Nat try to talk you into bringing him home?

Sherri said...

What a cool trip! Amazing you fit that all in one day and were still sane.

Annessa said...

It was all in one day, but I'm not too sure about the sane part.

SLO Rober said...

How do you find the energy!? Or is that what life is like without a 2 year old?
Way to go Nat!

Annessa said...

I think Natalee qualifies as two 2 yr. olds. She's smart enough to be dangerous! You do what you gotta do - and, oh, I sleep well at night.