The Bock Family Blog

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Some Thoughts on Autism...

Tony Attwood is my favorite specialist on High Functioning Autism, or as some call it - Asperger's Syndrome. Everytime I read what he's written or listen to him speak, I am filled with a sense of peace and even gratefulness for that Heavenly Father has blessed Kurt and I with the experience of raising our daughter. His insights give me the strength to go on with a positive attitude. I love this quote from his website: "From my clinical experience I consider that children and adults with Asperger's Syndrome have a different, not defective, way of thinking. The person usually has a strong desire to seek knowledge, truth and perfection with a different set of priorities than would be expected with other people. There is also a different perception of situations and sensory experiences. The overriding priority may be to solve a problem rather than satisfy the social or emotional needs of others. The person values being creative rather than co-operative. The person with Asperger's syndrome may perceive errors that are not apparent to others, giving considerable attention to detail, rather than noticing the “big picture”. The person is usually renowned for being direct, speaking their mind and being honest and determined and having a strong sense of social justice. The person may actively seek and enjoy solitude, be a loyal friend and have a distinct sense of humour. However, the person with Asperger's Syndrome can have difficulty with the management and expression of emotions. Children and adults with Asperger's syndrome may have levels of anxiety, sadness or anger that indicate a secondary mood disorder. There may also be problems expressing the degree of love and affection expected by others. Fortunately, we now have successful psychological treatment programs to help manage and express emotions." To listen to a great radio interview (fun accents!) with Tony Attwood and find out more about this condition go to http://www.tonyattwood.com.au/.

3 comments:

Grandma Caroline said...

Welcome aboard Annie! Now we just have to get your mom and dad on too. However I have noticed that we women do most of the blogging. Thanks for the update on Asberger's. I am always trying to learn about it because I think it best for the entire family to understand. Who knows, maybe we'll get another one in the family. Trying times, but so satisfying when we know what going on. We love your family. Come and visit my blog too, if you haven't already.

Annessa said...

We probably will (and do)have another in the family, since the propensity for AS is genetic - or at least the propensity for it is.

Mae said...

Kate and I have discussed that since we've learned about AS, we see bits and pieces in everyone of our family members. And even if it's not an Aspie trait, we are more understanding that everyone is different. So then we work according to that persons needs, even if they're not special needs.