The Bock Family Blog

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Reliving summer fun

Warning: lots of pictures and hot links follow! (it's my therapy) We have been switching and adjusting medications in our house these past couple weeks. Although it will be worth it, let's just say, I'm reliving the finer moments of this summer and wishing I was someplace and "time" else like: This cool house in Mendocino last month...I know, it looks like a doll house. I even like the palms strategically planted in front.
Tippy-toeing through this garden gate, barefoot, with a sweatshirt, picnic blanket and book in hand (alone, preferably)...oh, yeah, chocolate would be nice, too. Talking again with Buster, the artist at GlassFire Gallery in Fort Bragg where Gretchen picked up her hearts desire...the artist personally polished it for her. And a few we left behind. Smelling some pastries I had the will to resist...even the brick hearth and natural wood oven boards that decorated the inside were attractive.
Watching Gehrig read (and actually enjoy it) while picking out his book to buy with "Papa money" at Bookwinkles, the Gallery Bookshop. Playing with science toys in Out of This World, Mendocino...Picking through a pile of smooth, colored glass that has been tumbled by the sea at Glass Beach, Fort Bragg...
Picking through the Ark Thrift store, Fort Bragg... Heading to Cowlicks for Candy Cap Mushroom Ice Cream...really, it's fantastic! They say it's a naturally sweet, locally grown mushroom. When I asked the guy at Frankie's if it could have any "side" effects, 'cause I was addicted to the 'shroom ice cream, he grinned and replied quietly, "No. We only sell the legal kind." Well, we were near Humboldt county, so I had to ask.

How cute is this painted "rug" on the wood floor at the counter of Frankie's?!

Eating one of the felafel pita pockets at said Frankie's...in a locally made heart-shaped pottery bowl...

And...one day I'll have a little window that will need a cafe curtain made out of an apron, like this one at Frankie's. Wait...maybe I do have a little window like that...cause I need another project like I need a hole in the head. But, I've taken a picture of this little number two years in a row, so I think it's time to get serious and design one! Anyhoo...back to the real world. The day is finally over and I'm going to put my kids, and myself, to bed. I'm tired of this day...let's go to bed and get a new one tomorrow!

Where do you "go" when you wanna get away?

1 comment:

SLO Rober said...

Sigh...
Makes me want to plan a visit.