The Bock Family Blog

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Teaching 7th Grade

(I thought this picture was especially appropriate since we're studying Genghis Khan and ancient Chinese history. Perhaps I should go with this approach...)
Teaching, whether it's my own children or someone else's, is always an adventure. An adventure that I look forward to and embrace. I'm fascinated by learning styles and love seeing children struggle and then go, "Ah!" when they get it. I love doing projects with the kids where we can actually get in there, mess with stuff and discover how it works. I love getting messy. Every grade level has it's own positives and negatives for a teacher. Younger kids are sweeter, but older kids can do more for themselves. So I thought... Today, a child (yes, they hate being called that at 13) tied himself to his desk with a piece of nylon twine and couldn't get out of it. This was after I'd taken it away from two other kids and thrown it away ..twice! All I can say is, "Really?!" And just shake my head. If it wasn't so stupid, I'd have been laughing.

4 comments:

Mae said...

What did he tie himself to the desk with? And that's just funny, whatever it was!

Grandma Caroline said...

Would you come and give me a tip in how to TEACH or even REACH my 4 year old Primary class? No Joke! I have been teaching Primary (all ages) for more than 25 years and I can attest that this class has me baffled and I only have 3 (Thank goodness!)

Annessa B. said...

Caroline, let me see...4 year olds...the thing that comes to mind is movement! And, deliver your lesson objective in no more than 15 minutes. Support it with coloring, singing or movement activities afterwords. The biggest thing is that they feel loved, enabling them to feel the spirit while at church.

The State of Our Family said...

You are one seriously BRAVE woman! Better you than me! :)