The Bock Family Blog

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Down and Derby

Is nothing sacred?! Seriously, there's red and yellow paint on my blow dryer, sawdust all over the place and my hot pad was just used to hold an aluminum loaf pan in which lead was melted with a blow torch. Oh, yeah, and the neighbors keep telling me how they've run into Kurt at the post office using the digital scale to measure his "stash". It's that time of year: Pinewood Derby races are tomorrow night. And I couldn't be happier - I haven't seen the boys have this much fun with a project in a loooooong time. (And I haven't had to do a thing! When I make a comment, they just shake their heads, look at each other and laugh some private joke. Apparently I don't have enough testosterone to understand. As it should be.)

4 comments:

EJ said...

As a bear scout leader this post made me laugh! I seriously think they should have a section for the dads to enter their own. Your post reminded me of this LDS comic.

http://www.9thwardcartoons.com/2009/05/elders-quorum-needs-their-own.html

Sherri said...

We wrote about Connor's pinewood derby experiences for his Eagle board of review. They are awesome memories!

Grandma Caroline said...

How fun, Pinewood Derby time. I remember when Brian was to be in his first Pinewood Derby. Larry was gone on business and I helped him get his car ready, you should have seen the 76 paint job. He won, hand down. Sorry to say, after that (when dad was helping him) he never took 1st place again. Isn't it fun to watch boys be boys, and somehow our hearts melt right along with the stuff they use.

The State of Our Family said...

That is hilarious! I was totally lost as to why your blowdryer had paint on it and why lead was getting melted in your loaf pan...until I saw the words pinewood derby...explains everything perfectly...how weird is THAT!?!