Sunday, June 29, 2008
Sneaky Peanut Butter & Banana Muffins
So, here's the recipe for the muffins, though the kids didn't particularly rave for them. Not real fond of banana, which, they can live without. But, for those of you that love peanut butter and banana sandwiches - here you go!
Peanut Butter and Banana Muffins
(with carrot or cauliflower and banana)
• Nonstick cooking spray
• 1 c. firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
• ½ c. natural peanut butter
• ½ c. carrot or cauliflower puree
• ½ c. banana puree (about 1 medium banana)
• 1 large egg white
• 1 c. whole-wheat flour
• 1 tsp. baking powder
• 1 tsp. baking soda
• ½ tsp. salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350 deg. F. Coat a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray or line with paper baking cups.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix ½ c. of the brown sugar with the peanut butter, the vegetable and banana purees, and the egg white, using a wooden spoon.
3. Put the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl or zipper-lock bag and stire or shake to mix. Add to the bowl with the peanut butter mixture and stir just to combine (the batter will be a little lumpy-do not overmix). Add the remaining ½ cup of brown sugar and stir once or twice. (I did this and I didn’t get the crusty top like I wanted, so I think I’ll just sprinkle about ¼ cup on the top of all of them after I divide the batter in the tins, right before I bake them.)
4. Divide the batter among the muffin cups and bake until the muffins are lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center, 15 to 20 minutes. Turn the muffins out onto a rack to cool.
5. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days, or wrap individually and freeze for up to 1 month. (Mae – these would be great for you to make a batch and freeze individually; you can pull one out and throw it in your lunch bag. Good portable vitamins!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi Annessa,
Great Recipes. Thanks for sharing. My kids have been eating so many treats this summer, I should try and sneak in something good for them. I love the idea of the scrapblog too.
Post a Comment