The Bock Family Blog

Friday, February 8, 2008

Did you see Gladys Knight last Sunday?



I recently purchased a Gladys Knight and the Saints Unified Choir cd. It's really wonderful! She's taken some familiar L.D.S. music and given them soul, and basically born her testimony in song. So, the kids and I have been listening to them in the car to and from school, etc.
Last week, Natalee recognized some of the words and asked to see the cover. She commented that the lady (Gladys Knight) was pretty and then we discussed how she had joined the church and was so happy that she wanted to share the gospel with others. These songs were her way of sharing her joy and testimony. She thought about that for a while.
Then, on Monday, she asked to see the cd cover again. After a bit of looking at it, she asked again, "She's a member of our church?" When I answered affirmatively, she responded, "Oh. I looked and looked and I didn't see her there on Sunday." Of course, we then had a discussion about the Church being world-wide and that there are chapels all over that the Saints gather to learn the gospel of Jesus Christ. The curriculum is the same, even on the same lesson on a given Sunday. I explained that Sister Knight lives in Las Vegas and the people singing were some people fromher Stake. I think it finally sank in when we pulled out the children's Friend magazine.
If you want to learn more about her conversion and what it takes to get conservative Mormons to sing like Southern Baptists, go to http://www.meridianmagazine.com/people/050609knight.html. Hint: a few employees from Las Vegas' Flamingo helped. Whoda thunk it!

2 comments:

SLO Rober said...

That's so cute! And what a great learning experience for Natalee

Mae said...

That is so funny! I love when they let us hear what they are thinking.